Thursday, May 27, 2010

Launching

Well, it is now May 26th, but I write this post for the launching which happened on Monday May 10, 2010 . Pompano is in the water in Chatham and its almost been two weeks since i've even seen her, and that is a shame.

My last few days with Pompano were spent moving out of my cottage, cleaning up my tent, organizing my tools, and double checking the bilge pump. Everything seemed to be in order, and I went to Nantucket on Saturday for my brother's 25th birthday which was on Sunday, then doubled back to Chatham Monday morning to meet Nauset Marine at 12 noon. They came early, and I had cut away the front of my tent so they could back the trailer right in and pull her out. It was pretty amazing how it all worked. The driver had his helper just hold on to Pompano as I removed all four jack stands. There was just one hand keeping her up right as the driver backed in and set up keel blocks and the after pads. It was the same driver that picked her up in Woods Hole 8 months ago and he had some nice things to say about the way she now looks.

He pulled out and I drove the yard's work boat over to the launch ramp to meet him. And along with a few guests, Brad Pease, Kitty, and Jerry, Pompano was launched. It had been nearly 10 years since she's seen water, and leaked very minimally. The pumped didnt even come on until I had her back at the boatyard's pier. She floats very nicely on her lines and the next day Drew helped me step the mast and connect the shrouds.

Although this is a MAJOR step in my work on Pompano, and I have received many congratulations, it is bittersweet for me. She is in the water, yes, but still needs much work to be sailing. The seats need to be made, the coamings need to be finished, the raised deck needs to be built and dynel covered, as well as the bulkhead. These things may not seem like a lot compared to the amount that i've done over the past few months, but it will be daunting work while she is in the water and I am occupied with a real job. But stay tuned, and hopefully by the end of the summer, she will be in sailing shape.